Board Meeting Minutes - Sept 10, 2020

Vista Las Palmas Neighborhood Organization Board Meeting
September 10, 2020  4:00pm
Virtual Call via MSTeams

Meeting Objective: VLPNO Board Updates 

The following board members/attendees were present: Scott Turner, Kevin Comer, Gustav Swanson, Kermit Ferrer, Sally Hightower Lippin.

AGENDA

  • Review / Approve Minutes from August Board Meeting (08/13/20)- Board
  • Review Action Items from August Board Meeting- KFerrer
  • Treasury / Finance Report - KComer
    • August Report
    • Other VLPNO funds projects:  ie Blade Signs
  • Modernism Week 2021 - VLPNO Home Tour- Board
    • Communication to VLPNO of Withdrawal
  • Neighborhood- KComer
    • Street Condition Update
    • Agave Project                                                                          
  • One PS / District 3 Update- SCobrin/KComer
  • VLPNO Annual General Membership Meeting Planning- STurner/SHightower
    • Date:  November 22nd
    • O’Donnell Reservation
    • Agenda
    • Election & Open Positions
    • Guest Speakers
    • Invitation
  • Communication Updates:- GSwanson
    • Email Addresses DB- KComer/RMay
    • Home Addresses DB update:  Excel vs Mailchimp
    • VLPNO website
    • Next Door
    • Facebook                                                                                            
    • Other
  • Block Ambassador/Captain Initiative Next Steps- KFerrer
  • Other Board Member Updates

Review/Approve Minutes from August 13th meeting

  • Board reviewed and unanimously approved minutes from the August 13th, 2020 Board Meeting
  • Gustav to coordinate w/ Imagine-IT to publish July and August Board 2020 meeting minutes on-line

RECAP / NOTES from August Meeting

  • COMPLETE: Gustav to publish minutes from July Board meeting
  • OPEN: Kevin, Scott and Kermit to set-up co-signer’s on VLPNO bank accounts
  • Kevin to reach out to CPA references to assist with exemption and filing
  • COMPLETE: Board to continue search for MW2021 VLPNO Home Tour committee members and homes
  • COMPLETE: Gustav to draft up communication calling out for Tour Committee members and Tour Homes with new format: Gardens, Outdoor Living and Vintage Cars to be emailed, posted on FB, NextDoor and VLPNO website
  • COMPLETE: Board to meet again on Monday, August 24th to discuss status of MW2021 VLPNO Home Tour
  • COMPLETE: Kermit to send out Calendar Invito to the Board along with a MSTeams meeting invite for August 24th VLPNO Home Tour Update
  • COMPLETE: Sally to reach out to the O'Donnell Club and inquire about the Club’s operating conditions, reservation for VLPNO AGMM for our usual time slot for the Sunday before Thanksgiving = Sunday, November 22nd,2020 as well as quotes for costs:  venue & catering, deposit, payment terms, cancellation conditions, etc.
  • OPEN: Kevin to follow-up with City on Neighborhood Topics: Street Condition
  • OPEN: Rebecca, Gustav and Scott to work on updating Excel database to maintain a list of neighbors who are VLPNO members by address as well as those who have paid dues
  • OPEN: Kevin to research whether this information: Addresses and Paid Dues can be maintained in Quickbooks
  • OPEN: Kermit to update Block Ambassador proposal
  • COMPLETE: Kermit to provide map with streets in our neighborhood that have blade signs and propose where new ones might be added
  • COMPLETE: Kermit to send out Calendar Invite to the Board along with a MSTeams meeting invite for September 10th Board Meeting

Treasurer’s Report

  • Kevin provided August Financials via email to the Board prior to the meeting
  • July reporting included
    • Account Reconciliation
    • Income Statement
    • Chase Bank Statement
  • Kevin went through the VLPNO account balances
  • Kevin reached out to Barton CPA to discuss State of California exemption applications, investigate if the VLP has previously filed these with the State. Kevin will be following up with Barton CPA on this matter to see exactly where we are with the state.  Maybe a filing was done under another name and we can change the name to avoid the largest penalties. 
  • We still need another two (2) signers: The Board agreed that this will be Scott Turner, VLPNO Board Chairperson & Kermit Ferrer, VLPNO Board Secretary. This will be set-up once regulations permit for us to go to the bank to complete the signature paperwork. 

MW2021 – VLPNO Home Tour                                                                                                   

  • The Board met Monday, August 24th. During that meeting the Board discussed the lack of neighbors who have come forward to be on the MW2021 VLP Home Tour committee as well as those who have signed up to have their homes on the tour
  • Given the uncertainty of the health environment as well as the planning requirements for our neighborhood tour, the Board unanimously agreed to cancel the VLPNO Home Tour scheduled for February 2021 Modernism Week.  
  • Kermit to communicate to the MW2021 Committee our intent to withdraw our request to take part in next February’s 2021 Modernism Week given the uncertainty of the health environment as well as the planning requirements for our neighborhood tour asking neighbors to commit this far in advance.  
  • Kermit to draft up communication informing the VLP neighbors that the Board has decided to cancel the VLPNO Home Tour in February 2021 Modernism Week and send it out to be Board for review and approval. Once approved, mail out via mailchimp and post on FB and NextDoor.
  • Kermit stressed the importance to start planning early for the Modernism Week 2022 Home Tour Planning. Possibly include in the Annual General Membership Meeting.

One-PS – District 3

  • Kevin reminded all that One-PS and District 3 meetings are scheduled to resume in mid-September in virtual format

Neighborhood 

  • Kevin to follow-up with Joel Montalvo, MPA, PE Asst Director of Engineering City of PS.
  • Kevin presented the summary of 'The Agave’ project. This is a new development planned at the corner of Palm Canyon and Stevens.  Alternately described as low income housing, homeless housing, affordable senior housing, transient housing.

Communication

  • Rebecca, Gustav and Scott to work on updating Excel database to maintain a list of neighbors who are VLPNO members by address as well as those who have paid dues
  • Kevin to research whether this information: Addresses and Paid Dues can be maintained in Quickbooks

VLPNO Annual General Membership Meeting Planning

  • The Annual General Membership Meeting (AGMM) regularly takes place the Sunday before Thanksgiving
  • This year that would be Sunday, November 22nd, 2020
  • Sally reached out to O’Donnell Club and was able to reserve our usual time slot for the Sunday before Thanksgiving = Sunday, November 22nd, 2020 from 3:00 – 5:00pm.
  • Sally also obtained quotes for costs:  venue & catering, deposit, payment terms, cancellation conditions, etc
    • Deposit would be refunded if cancellation is caused by City regulation changes due to C-19
  • Board agreed to host event at the O’Donnell Club as we’ve customarily done along with a Zoom/MSTeams webinar option to allow neighbors to participate taking into consideration current C-19 environment.
    • Gustav to follow-up with Jeff @ ImagineIT to see if they are able to host and assist with the webinar
    • Kermit to follow-up with his company to see if they would allow the VLP to use their MSTeams platform for the AGMM
  • It was brought up that the temperature drops at the end of the meeting once the sun begins to set over the mountain and could we possibly start the meeting earlier say 2:00pm on Sunday. Kermit mentioned that in prior years we couldn’t start earlier on Sunday as the O’Donnell Annual Turkey Trot ends at 2:30pm and they need time to set-up the catering for the VLP AGMM. The Board discussed possibility of hosting the AGMM on Saturday if we could hold the meeting from 2:00 -4:00pm.   Scott volunteered to take over for Sally to make this request of an earlier time on Saturday, November 21st.
  • Kermit brought up the need to help with projecting the message during the Board presentation part of the meeting and asked Scott to inquire whether the O’Donnell Club had a PA system. 
  • Kermit reminded the Board that there are four (4) positions up for election at this upcoming 2020 AGMM.  The positions that are up for election are currently held by Sheila Cobrin, Sally Hightower-Lippin, Rebecca May and Kermit Ferrer.

  • The Board discussed possible guest speakers.  It was agreed that we should reach out to the Police Chief and Denise Goolsby, Office of Neighborhoods Manager at City of Palm Springs, to invite them to the VLP AGMM and ask if they would speak at our meeting.  Kevin agreed to reach out to both parties.

  • Kermit reminded that per By-Laws AGMM invite must go out at least 30 days prior to the meeting. Invite should go out mid-October. Board needs to start meeting planning.
  • Kermit to draft a HOLD THE DATE email informing our neighbors of the upcoming meeting date & time, the open Board positions and reminding neighbors to submit topics and/or proposed changes to the By-Laws 30 days in advance of the meeting.

Other Update

  • Kermit shared the VLPNO Map indicating street corners that currently have a VLP blade sign. Currently most blade signs are posted around the perimeter of the VLP neighborhood. Discussion was had about where to potentially add signs.
  • Kermit asked each Board member to provide feedback on proposed locations to add signs.

 

ACTION ITEMS:

  • Gustav to publish minutes from August Board meeting
  • Kevin, Scott and Kermit to set-up co-signer’s on VLPNO bank accounts
  • Kevin to follow-up with Barton CPA to assist with CA State exemption and filing
  • Kermit to communicate to MW2021 Committee withdrawal of VLPNO request to hold a VLP Home Garden Tour.
  • Kermit to draft communication to neighbors of VLPNO Home Tour in the Modernism Week 2021 withdrawal. Once approved, Board to publish via Mailchimp, FB and Nextdoor
  • Scott to reach out to the O'Donnell Club and inquire about the possibility to move VLPNO AGMM to Saturday, November 21st if an earlier time (2:00 – 4:00pm) is available; ask if the O’Donnell has a PA system; finalize the date and time for the AGMM and book it
  • Gustav to follow-up with Jeff @ ImagineIT to see if they are able to host and assist with the webinar
  • Kermit to follow-up with his company to see if they would allow the VLP to use their MSTeams platform for the AGMM
  • Kermit to draft communication on AGMM Hold the Date. Once meeting date is finalized and booked, Board to publish via Mailchimp, FB and Nextdoor
  • Kevin to reach out to possible guest speakers: PSPD Police Chief and Denise Goolsby, Office of Neighborhoods Manager at City of Palm Springs; invite them to the VLP AGMM and ask if they would speak at our meeting. 

  • Kevin to follow-up with City on Neighborhood Topics: Street Condition
  • Rebecca, Gustav and Scott to work on updating Excel database to maintain a list of neighbors who are VLPNO members by address as well as those who have paid dues
  • Kevin to research whether this information: Addresses and Paid Dues can be maintained in Quickbooks

  • Kermit to update Block Ambassador proposal

  • Board members to provide Top 5 intersections to add VLP Blade signs

  • Kermit to send out Calendar Invite to the Board along with a MSTeams meeting invite for October 8th Board Meeting

Suggested annual dues contribution of $50 per household helps pay for website, mailings, printing, newsletter, supplies and our VLP neighborhood events.

Duration: 1 year
Price: $50.00