Board Meeting Minutes - January 9, 2020
Vista Las Palmas Neighborhood Organization Board Meeting
January 9, 2020, 4:00pm
830 N Fair Circle, Palm Springs
The following board members/attendees were present: Scott Turner, Kevin Comer, Gustav Swanson, Sheila Cobrin, Sally Hightower Lippin (via phone), Mickey Puig (via phone), Kermit Ferrer.
- Review / Approve Minutes from December Board Meeting (12/11/19)
- Review Action Items from December Board Meeting
- Finalize Board Member Roles
- Review Post AGMM Activities
- Treasury / Finance Report
- December Report
- Annual Budget
- GoFundMe: Alexander STAR
- MW2020 Update
- Tour Name: Vista Las Palmas: The Alexander’s Jewel in the Crown Designed by William Krisel and Charles Du Bois
- Scheduled for Saturday, February 15th
- Ticket Sales
- Request for Volunteers
- Alexander STAR Dedication Event Update
- January Social
- Communication Updates:
- Next Door
- Email address
RECAP / NOTES from December Meeting
- NOT COMPLETED: Sally to publish minutes from October and November Board Meetings as well as November Annual General Membership on-line with Imagine IT group.
- NOT COMPLETED: Sally to provide on-going maintenance of website: What’s New – Remove 2019 MW message
- IN PROCESS: Board to finalize officer positions at January meeting.
- IN PROCESS: Mickey to update VLPNO Annual Budget to include membership dues collection @ 100% of households.
- COMPLETED: Kermit to send Denise Goolsby a copy of the Bylaws that we adopted with the map attached and as certified by Kermit as Secretary. Kermit to complete before Dec. 24th (30 days from AGMM)
- COMPLETED: Kermit to follow-up with ‘Las Palmas Brewery’ to ask if they’d allow us to host a VLPNO Social on Saturday, January 18th, Kermit to prepare communication.
- COMPLETED: Kermit to send out Calendar Invite to the Board along with a GoToMeeting invite for January Board Meeting
- The Board welcomed newly elected incoming Board member: Kevin Comer (absent at the December meeting)
- All Board members re-introduced themselves and acquainted the Board on personal and professional background
- Sheila broke the news to the Board that she was selling her house and moving to Chicago and would no longer be able to serve on the Board
Review/Approve Minutes from December 11th meeting
- Board reviewed and unanimously approved minutes from the Dec. 2019 meeting
- Sally to publish minutes from Oct, Nov, Dec 2019 & Jan 2020 Board Meeting on-line working with Imagine IT group
Assignment of Board Member Roles
- During the December 2019 Board meeting, the Board had assigned temporary officer positions as noted below. The subject was tabled to be discussed during this January 2020 meeting with the presence of all Board members:
- Chairperson: Scott Turner
- Vice-Chairperson: Sally Hightower
- Treasurer: Mickey Puig
- Secretary: Kermit Ferrer
- Members-At-Large: Sheila Cobrin, Gustav Swanson and Kevin Comer
- Prior to the meeting, Sally had sent the Board an email surrendering Vice-Chairperson position and volunteering for a member at large position.
- Kermit proposed Gustav as suitable for the Vice-Chairperson position given his leadership in the establishment of the new VLPNO By-Laws. The motion was seconded and Gustav accepted.
- Kevin also accepted to be a Member-At-Lar
- The Board commented that Sheila’s move to Chicago would leave one (1) Member-At-Large position open. It was suggested that we formally note that in the January Social invitation and ask for volunteers.
- The Board finalized the new officer positions as follows:
- Chairperson: Scott Turner
- Vice-Chairperson: Gustav Swanson
- Treasurer: Mickey Puig
- Secretary: Kermit Ferrer
- Members-At-Large: Sheila Cobrin, Sally Hightower and Kevin Comer
Assignment of One-PS Representative
- Sheila had previously noted that she is the VLP representative to One-PS
- Sheila noted One-PS meetings take place 8:00 – 10:00am of 2nd Thursday of the month
- Given Sheila’s departure from the Board, a new VLP representative is required
- Kevin volunteered to be the VLP One-PS representative
- Scott had previously volunteered to be VLP back-up representative to One-PS
Review Post AGMM Activities – Remaining
- Elect Officers within 30 days of the AGMM: Officers positions tentatively identified in December, Final officer election concluded during January meeting. See Officers above.
- At the same time as Officers are elected designate VLP’s official representative and alternate representative to ONE-PS: See One-PS representative information above.
- Comply with the requirements in Article IX Section 11 to report to the Office of Neighborhoods (Denise) and ONE-PS. These include providing notice of VLP’s official representatives to ONE-PS, copies of the minutes of the AGMM, and a list of the current Directors with the dates of their respective terms in office. Requires follow-up.
- No Treasury report as Mickey was traveling and records were back in PS
MW2020 VLPNO Tour Update
- Event scheduled for Saturday, Feb. 15th AM and PM Tours
- Original MW2020 Tour tickets posted at 400. Tickets sold out in December
- Additional 100 tickets added to the MW2020 Tour website. Additional tickets also sold out.
- No additional tickets will be sold on-line. VLP can sell additional tickets at the Alexander Star Dedication and on the day of the event.
- Homes coordinated
- Brochure in final draft
- Need for volunteers – docents and check-in for day of tour.
- There’ll be a homeowner and docent meet & greet and education session on Feb. 8th at Mickey Puig & Jeffrey Saadeh’s home
Alexander STAR Dedication Event Update
- Event scheduled for Friday, Feb. 14th 2:00pm
- Joan Gand volunteered to be VLP speaker. Information passed on to David Hyams Alexander STAR event coordinator.
- Kermit confirmed having spoken to owner at Las Palmas Brewing (new brewery on N Palm Canyon Drive) for the next VLP Social on Saturday, January 18th (MLK weekend)
- Kermit sent out draft of invitation prepared by neighbor John Criscuolo and asked all to comment. Once it is approved the Board agreed to post on VLPNO website as well as NextDoor – VLP
- Message to include:
- Under New Leadership, New Board / New Era or Meet Your New Board Members
- Take advantage of Social to bid farewell to Sheila who will soon be relocating out of the neighborhood and request Board member volunteer to fill this position
- Clarification on No Host Bar = Cash Bar
- Include ‘Win a Fabulous Prize’
- It was proposed to have a sign-in card for those attending to capture updated neighbor information (address & email) which would then be used to draw for a raffle item
- Kermit to do all of the preparations and purchases: snacks, nametags & gift to be raffled at the Social
- Board discussed need to improve communication via VLPNO website, Next Door and/or Facebook. On-going topic for future meetings.
- Board also discussed need to capture proper, single master list of neighbors and corresponding email address. Kermit explained that there were 4 versions of neighbor mail lists but never consolidated. Kevin volunteered to take these and put through ‘mail chimp’ to consolidate lists and allow for email database management.
- A sub-committee would then be created to review database accuracy, edits and adds
- Board discussed the need to replace Sheila’s address on the website for all mailings. Board agreed on setting up a PO Box that could be carried forward non-withstanding Board changes. Kermit volunteered to set that up at the Mailboxes place on Vista Chino and Sunrise
- Kermit to include Chairperson Updates in future agendas as proposed
- Gustav to publish minutes from October, November and December Board Meetings as well as November Annual General Membership on-line with Imagine IT group.
- Mickey to update VLPNO Annual Budget to include membership dues collection @ 100% of households.
- Kermit, Sheila & Kevin: Comply with the requirements in Article IX Section 11 to report to the Office of Neighborhoods (Denise) and ONE-PS. These include providing notice of VLP’s official representatives to ONE-PS, copies of the minutes of the AGMM, and a list of the current Directors with the dates of their respective terms in office. Requires follow-up.
- Kermit to follow-up with ‘Las Palmas Brewery’ to provide final confirmation and possibly purchase gift, gift certificate to raffle at the Social event
- Kermit to do all the preparations for Feb. 18th Social: sign-in cards, food, gift and set-up
- Board to finalize Social invite messaging to include topics listed above under Social
- Gustav to publish Social invite through Website, Email blast from website and NextDoor
- Kermit to send all VLPNO neighbor information databases to Kevin
- Kevin to consolidate VLPNO neighbor databases to create single master list
- Kermit to set-up PO Box for VLPNO mail and provide to Gustav to update website
- Kermit to send out Calendar Invite to the Board along with a GoToMeeting invite for February 13th Board Meeting