Board Meeting Minutes - October 8, 2020

Vista Las Palmas Neighborhood Organization Board Meeting
October 8, 2020  4:00pm
Virtual Call via MSTeams

Meeting Objective: VLPNO Board Updates 

The following board members/attendees were present: Scott Turner, Kevin Comer, Gustav Swanson, Kermit Ferrer, Sally Hightower Lippin, Rebecca May.

AGENDA 

 

  • Review / Approve Minutes from September Board Meeting (09/10/20) - Board
  • Review Action Items from September Board Meeting - KFerrer
  • Treasury / Finance Report - KComer
    • September Report
    • Other VLPNO funds projects:  ie Blade Signs
  • Neighborhood - KComer
    • Street Condition Update                                                                          
  • One PS / District 3 Update - KComer
  • VLPNO Annual General Membership Meeting Planning - Board
    • Date:  November 22nd
    • O’Donnell Reservation:  Date & Time; PA System?
    • Agenda
    • Election & Open Positions
    • Presenters
    • Guest Speakers
    • Membership & Dues
    • Invitation
    • Zoom/ Teams Meeting Set-Up & Rehearsal
  • Communication Updates: - GSwanson
    • Email Addresses DB - KComer/RMay
    • Home Addresses DB update:  Excel vs Mailchimp
    • VLPNO website
    • Next Door
    • Facebook                                                                                            
    • Other
  • Block Ambassador/Captain Initiative Next Steps - Kferrer
  • Other Board Member Updates 



Review/Approve Minutes from September 10th meeting

  • Gustav to coordinate w/ Imagine-IT to publish August and September Board 2020 meeting minutes on-line

    RECAP / NOTES from September Meeting
  • Kermit to send Gustav both August and September meeting minutes
  • Board reviewed and unanimously approved minutes from the September 10th, 2020 Board Meeting
  • OPEN: Gustav to publish minutes from August Board meeting
  • OPEN: Kevin, Scott and Kermit to set-up co-signer’s on VLPNO bank accounts
  • COMPLETE: Kevin to follow-up with Barton CPA to assist with CA State exemption and filing
  • COMPLETE: Kermit to communicate to MW2021 Committee withdrawal of VLPNO request to hold a VLP Home Garden Tour.
  • COMPLETE: Kermit to draft communication to neighbors of VLPNO Home Tour in the Modernism Week 2021. Once approved, Board to publish via Mailchimp, FB and Nextdoor
  • COMPLETE: Scott to reach out to the O'Donnell Club and inquire about the possibility to move VLPNO AGMM to Saturday, November 21st if an earlier time (2:00 – 4:00pm) is available; ask if the O’Donnell has a PA system; finalize the date and time for the AGMM and book it
  • COMPLETE: Gustav to follow-up with Jeff @ ImagineIT to see if they are able to host and assist with the webinar
  • COMPLETE: Kermit to follow-up with his company to see if they would allow the VLP to use their MSTeams platform for the AGMM
  • COMPLETE: Kermit to draft communication on AGMM Hold the Date. Once meeting date is finalized and booked, Board to publish via Mailchimp, FB and Nextdoor
    OPEN:  Kevin & Gustav to reach out to possible guest speakers: PSPD Police Sargent John Cabrera and Denise Goolsby, Office of Neighborhoods Manager at City of Palm Springs; invite them to the VLP AGMM and ask if they would speak at our meeting. 
  • COMPLETE: Kevin to follow-up with City on Neighborhood Topics: Street Condition
  • CANCELLED: Rebecca, Gustav and Scott to work on updating Excel database to maintain a list of neighbors who are VLPNO members by address as well as those who have paid dues
  • COMPLETE: Kevin to research whether this information: Addresses and Paid Dues can be maintained in Quickbooks
  • OPEN: Kermit to update Block Ambassador proposal
  • OPEN: Board members to provide Top 5 intersections to add VLP Blade signs
  • COMPLETE: Kermit to send out Calendar Invite to the Board along with a MSTeams meeting invite for October 8th Board Meeting

Treasurer’s Report

  • Kevin provided September Financials via email to the Board prior to the meeting
  • September reporting included
    • Account Reconciliation
    • Income Statement
    • Chase Bank Statement
  • Kevin spoke to Kathy Cintas, Tax Preparer at Barton CPA. It appears that the VLPNO has never filed State of California exemption applications. She confirmed that there will be penalties and Barton CPA costs to file these with the state of California retroactively.  
  • Board agreed that this must be disclosed to any candidates who come forth for the November VLPNO Board Election at the AGMM.
  • Kevin inquired about the year that the VLPNO was formed. Kermit stated that from the records that he’s organized, we show the VLPNO was incorporated in November 1st, 2005.
  • Kevin is awaiting a formal quote from Barton CPA on the work before approving them to proceed with work. Kathy stated she had to defer to Chauncy Thompson, Firm Manager.
  • We still need another two (2) signers: The Board agreed that this will be Scott Turner, VLPNO Board Chairperson & Kermit Ferrer, VLPNO Board Secretary. This will be set-up once regulations permit for us to go to the bank to complete the signature paperwork and Kevin returns to PS.

MW2021 – VLPNO Home Tour                                                                                                   

  • Kermit confirmed communication to the MW2021 Committee our intent to withdraw our request to take part in next February’s 2021 Modernism Week.  
  • Communication was sent to VLP neighbors that the Board has decided to cancel the VLPNO Home Tour in February 2021 Modernism Week.
  • Kermit stressed the importance to start planning early for the Modernism Week 2022 Home Tour Planning. The Board agreed to add it to the Annual General Membership Meeting Agenda.

One-PS – District 3

  • Kevin provided the following update:
  • One-PS meetings resumed in September in virtual format. The next meeting is on October 6th, 2020.
  • Palm Springs City Manager David Ready is retiring at the end of 2020after about two decades of service. No replacement has been announced.
  • Announcement of the sad news of the passing of Nat Reed, creator of the ONE-PS logo.  Nat was a local graphic artist.
  • Upcoming Events:
    • 27th: Talk of the Town presentation by the PS Animal Shelter
    • 12th: One-PS 15th Anniversary Celebration

Neighborhood                          

STREETS:

  • Kevin followed up with Joel Montalvo, MPA, PE Asst Director of Engineering City of PS. He organized a walk through of the neighborhood worse streets for Tuesday, October 12th. Kermit & Scott to meet Mr Montalvo to do the walkthrough of the worse streets demonstrating signs of failure (all cul-de-sacs) and comp cul-de-sac examples repaved at the same time that remain in good condition.
  • Below are the streets the Board agreed during the June 2020 Board meeting for ranking based on conditions.Streets in priority order:

1.      N Fairview

2.      Topaz

3.      Coronet

4.      N Fair Circle

5.      Tuxedo

    • Paseo Dero and Via Paraiso cul-de-sac streets are immaculate and that we thought would be a good comparison to the condition our streets should be in.

AGAVE:

  • Update on The Agave Project: Kevin mentioned that Sydney Weissman, Community of PS Liaison, for 'The WHCHC’s (West Hollywood Community Housing Corporation) Agave’ project contacted him asking Kevin to write a letter showing our support of the project. Kevin declined as he needed input from the VLPNO neighbors.  Kevin suggested that she follow-up on scheduling further community presentations of the project that they talked about and promised during their initial call with us.  He said that he would assist in broadcasting the invite to the VLP neighbors.  The Board supports Kevin’s approach and agreed that we would definitely need input from VLP neighbors as well as surrounding communities:  OLP, Little Tuscany, Movie Colony.

NOTE:  The Agave project is a new development planned at the corner of Palm Canyon and Stevens.  Alternately described as low-income housing, homeless housing, affordable senior housing, transient housing.

Communication

  • Board agreed to discontinue Excel database and to maintain Memberships, Dues/Donations, Home Addresses and Email Addresses in Quickbooks.
  • Gustav to work with Kevin in updating Quickbooks with neighbor information to allow VLPNO Board to track Total Membership

Block Ambassador/Captain Initiative

  • Kermit to update proposal and present at the AGMM to request volunteers to help drive membership

VLPNO Annual General Membership Meeting Planning

  • The Annual General Membership Meeting (AGMM) is taking place on Sunday, November 22nd, 2020 at the O’Donnell Club 3:00 – 5:00pm along with an MSTeams webinar option
  • Scott reached out to O’Donnell Club to inquire about alternate day and times to host the meeting at an earlier time of day. No earlier options available on Sunday nor Saturday. Board agreed to keep original AGMM date.
  • Scott to confirm keeping the meting on Sunday, Nov 22nd at 3:00pm and deliver the deposit check to O’Donnell Club (Deposit to be refunded if cancellation is caused by City regulation due to C-19)
  • Kermit to schedule visit to O’Donnell to check out the WiFi signal strength
  • Kermit reminded the Board that there are four (4) positions up for election at this upcoming 2020 AGMM.  The positions that are up for election are currently held by Sheila Cobrin, Sally Hightower-Lippin, Rebecca May and Kermit Ferrer.
  • The Board discussed guest speakers. 
    • Gustav reached out to PSPD Sargent Cabrera who stated he might be able to join. 
    • Kevin hadn’t reached out to Denise Goolsby, Office of PS Neighborhoods Manager
    • Kevin proposed he could reach out to Mayor Jeff Kors
    • Kermit suggested Ken Lyons, PS Historic Preservation Society to give his presentation on Historical Classification he shared in 2019 with the VLP Board
    • Kevin stated that he would lao reach out to Mayor Kors
  • Kermit to draft up the proposed AGMM Meeting invite to include Membership and Elections and send out to the Board for input

 

ACTION ITEMS:

  • Kermit to send Gustav both August and September meeting minutes

  • Gustav to publish minutes from Aug and Sept Board meetings on the VLPNO website
  • Kevin, Scott and Kermit to set-up co-signer’s on VLPNO bank accounts
  • Kevin to obtain quote from Barton to assist with CA State exemption and filing
  • Kermit to draft Modernism Wk 2021/2022 VLPNO Home Tour update to present @ AGMM
  • Kermit & Scott to meet with Joel Montalvo, PS City Engineer on Oct. 12th to walk VLP streets showing signs of failure
  • Kevin to assist WHCHC in scheduling meeting with VLP to present The Agave Project
  • Gustav to work with Kevin on updating Quickbooks with Membership (paying/non-paying), Home Addresses and Email Addresses to establish Total VLPNO Membership count
  • Kermit to update Block Ambassador proposal to present during the AGMM
  • Scott to confirm AGMM on Sunday, Nov 22nd at 3:00pm; deliver deposit to O’Donnell Club
  • Kermit to visit O’Donnell Club to check out WiFi signal strength
  • Kevin to reach out to Denise Goolsby and Mayor Jeff Kors to invite them to the VLP AGMM and ask if they would speak at our annual meeting
  • Gustav to invite Ken Lyons to the VLP AGMM and ask if he would speak at our meeting
  • Kermit to draft AGMM Meeting invite: Location, Time, Agenda, Membership (include Membership dues not required) & Election and send out to the Board to work on editing and mailing/posting
  • Kermit to send out Calendar Invite to the Board along with a MSTeams meeting invite for November 12th Board Meeting

Good Things to Know Presentation from the City of Palm Springs Planning Dept.

The four classifications of Historic Sites in Palm Springs. 

Historic Districts in Palm Springs – how things work. 

Where to look – Listings of Historic Sites & Districts in Palm Springs. 

Important facts everyone needs to know about Historic Sites in Palm Springs. 

Teardowns – it's a lot more than just getting a demolition permit. 

Local Incentives – Mills Act Contracts in Palm Springs. 

Incentives for Class 1 Commercial Sites in Palm Springs. 

How the State Historic Building Code applies. 

Click to View Presentation

Board Meeting Minutes - Sept 10, 2020

Vista Las Palmas Neighborhood Organization Board Meeting
September 10, 2020  4:00pm
Virtual Call via MSTeams

Meeting Objective: VLPNO Board Updates 

The following board members/attendees were present: Scott Turner, Kevin Comer, Gustav Swanson, Kermit Ferrer, Sally Hightower Lippin.

AGENDA

  • Review / Approve Minutes from August Board Meeting (08/13/20)- Board
  • Review Action Items from August Board Meeting- KFerrer
  • Treasury / Finance Report - KComer
    • August Report
    • Other VLPNO funds projects:  ie Blade Signs
  • Modernism Week 2021 - VLPNO Home Tour- Board
    • Communication to VLPNO of Withdrawal
  • Neighborhood- KComer
    • Street Condition Update
    • Agave Project                                                                          
  • One PS / District 3 Update- SCobrin/KComer
  • VLPNO Annual General Membership Meeting Planning- STurner/SHightower
    • Date:  November 22nd
    • O’Donnell Reservation
    • Agenda
    • Election & Open Positions
    • Guest Speakers
    • Invitation
  • Communication Updates:- GSwanson
    • Email Addresses DB- KComer/RMay
    • Home Addresses DB update:  Excel vs Mailchimp
    • VLPNO website
    • Next Door
    • Facebook                                                                                            
    • Other
  • Block Ambassador/Captain Initiative Next Steps- KFerrer
  • Other Board Member Updates

Review/Approve Minutes from August 13th meeting

  • Board reviewed and unanimously approved minutes from the August 13th, 2020 Board Meeting
  • Gustav to coordinate w/ Imagine-IT to publish July and August Board 2020 meeting minutes on-line

RECAP / NOTES from August Meeting

  • COMPLETE: Gustav to publish minutes from July Board meeting
  • OPEN: Kevin, Scott and Kermit to set-up co-signer’s on VLPNO bank accounts
  • Kevin to reach out to CPA references to assist with exemption and filing
  • COMPLETE: Board to continue search for MW2021 VLPNO Home Tour committee members and homes
  • COMPLETE: Gustav to draft up communication calling out for Tour Committee members and Tour Homes with new format: Gardens, Outdoor Living and Vintage Cars to be emailed, posted on FB, NextDoor and VLPNO website
  • COMPLETE: Board to meet again on Monday, August 24th to discuss status of MW2021 VLPNO Home Tour
  • COMPLETE: Kermit to send out Calendar Invito to the Board along with a MSTeams meeting invite for August 24th VLPNO Home Tour Update
  • COMPLETE: Sally to reach out to the O'Donnell Club and inquire about the Club’s operating conditions, reservation for VLPNO AGMM for our usual time slot for the Sunday before Thanksgiving = Sunday, November 22nd,2020 as well as quotes for costs:  venue & catering, deposit, payment terms, cancellation conditions, etc.
  • OPEN: Kevin to follow-up with City on Neighborhood Topics: Street Condition
  • OPEN: Rebecca, Gustav and Scott to work on updating Excel database to maintain a list of neighbors who are VLPNO members by address as well as those who have paid dues
  • OPEN: Kevin to research whether this information: Addresses and Paid Dues can be maintained in Quickbooks
  • OPEN: Kermit to update Block Ambassador proposal
  • COMPLETE: Kermit to provide map with streets in our neighborhood that have blade signs and propose where new ones might be added
  • COMPLETE: Kermit to send out Calendar Invite to the Board along with a MSTeams meeting invite for September 10th Board Meeting

Treasurer’s Report

  • Kevin provided August Financials via email to the Board prior to the meeting
  • July reporting included
    • Account Reconciliation
    • Income Statement
    • Chase Bank Statement
  • Kevin went through the VLPNO account balances
  • Kevin reached out to Barton CPA to discuss State of California exemption applications, investigate if the VLP has previously filed these with the State. Kevin will be following up with Barton CPA on this matter to see exactly where we are with the state.  Maybe a filing was done under another name and we can change the name to avoid the largest penalties. 
  • We still need another two (2) signers: The Board agreed that this will be Scott Turner, VLPNO Board Chairperson & Kermit Ferrer, VLPNO Board Secretary. This will be set-up once regulations permit for us to go to the bank to complete the signature paperwork. 

MW2021 – VLPNO Home Tour                                                                                                   

  • The Board met Monday, August 24th. During that meeting the Board discussed the lack of neighbors who have come forward to be on the MW2021 VLP Home Tour committee as well as those who have signed up to have their homes on the tour
  • Given the uncertainty of the health environment as well as the planning requirements for our neighborhood tour, the Board unanimously agreed to cancel the VLPNO Home Tour scheduled for February 2021 Modernism Week.  
  • Kermit to communicate to the MW2021 Committee our intent to withdraw our request to take part in next February’s 2021 Modernism Week given the uncertainty of the health environment as well as the planning requirements for our neighborhood tour asking neighbors to commit this far in advance.  
  • Kermit to draft up communication informing the VLP neighbors that the Board has decided to cancel the VLPNO Home Tour in February 2021 Modernism Week and send it out to be Board for review and approval. Once approved, mail out via mailchimp and post on FB and NextDoor.
  • Kermit stressed the importance to start planning early for the Modernism Week 2022 Home Tour Planning. Possibly include in the Annual General Membership Meeting.

One-PS – District 3

  • Kevin reminded all that One-PS and District 3 meetings are scheduled to resume in mid-September in virtual format

Neighborhood 

  • Kevin to follow-up with Joel Montalvo, MPA, PE Asst Director of Engineering City of PS.
  • Kevin presented the summary of 'The Agave’ project. This is a new development planned at the corner of Palm Canyon and Stevens.  Alternately described as low income housing, homeless housing, affordable senior housing, transient housing.

Communication

  • Rebecca, Gustav and Scott to work on updating Excel database to maintain a list of neighbors who are VLPNO members by address as well as those who have paid dues
  • Kevin to research whether this information: Addresses and Paid Dues can be maintained in Quickbooks

VLPNO Annual General Membership Meeting Planning

  • The Annual General Membership Meeting (AGMM) regularly takes place the Sunday before Thanksgiving
  • This year that would be Sunday, November 22nd, 2020
  • Sally reached out to O’Donnell Club and was able to reserve our usual time slot for the Sunday before Thanksgiving = Sunday, November 22nd, 2020 from 3:00 – 5:00pm.
  • Sally also obtained quotes for costs:  venue & catering, deposit, payment terms, cancellation conditions, etc
    • Deposit would be refunded if cancellation is caused by City regulation changes due to C-19
  • Board agreed to host event at the O’Donnell Club as we’ve customarily done along with a Zoom/MSTeams webinar option to allow neighbors to participate taking into consideration current C-19 environment.
    • Gustav to follow-up with Jeff @ ImagineIT to see if they are able to host and assist with the webinar
    • Kermit to follow-up with his company to see if they would allow the VLP to use their MSTeams platform for the AGMM
  • It was brought up that the temperature drops at the end of the meeting once the sun begins to set over the mountain and could we possibly start the meeting earlier say 2:00pm on Sunday. Kermit mentioned that in prior years we couldn’t start earlier on Sunday as the O’Donnell Annual Turkey Trot ends at 2:30pm and they need time to set-up the catering for the VLP AGMM. The Board discussed possibility of hosting the AGMM on Saturday if we could hold the meeting from 2:00 -4:00pm.   Scott volunteered to take over for Sally to make this request of an earlier time on Saturday, November 21st.
  • Kermit brought up the need to help with projecting the message during the Board presentation part of the meeting and asked Scott to inquire whether the O’Donnell Club had a PA system. 
  • Kermit reminded the Board that there are four (4) positions up for election at this upcoming 2020 AGMM.  The positions that are up for election are currently held by Sheila Cobrin, Sally Hightower-Lippin, Rebecca May and Kermit Ferrer.

  • The Board discussed possible guest speakers.  It was agreed that we should reach out to the Police Chief and Denise Goolsby, Office of Neighborhoods Manager at City of Palm Springs, to invite them to the VLP AGMM and ask if they would speak at our meeting.  Kevin agreed to reach out to both parties.

  • Kermit reminded that per By-Laws AGMM invite must go out at least 30 days prior to the meeting. Invite should go out mid-October. Board needs to start meeting planning.
  • Kermit to draft a HOLD THE DATE email informing our neighbors of the upcoming meeting date & time, the open Board positions and reminding neighbors to submit topics and/or proposed changes to the By-Laws 30 days in advance of the meeting.

Other Update

  • Kermit shared the VLPNO Map indicating street corners that currently have a VLP blade sign. Currently most blade signs are posted around the perimeter of the VLP neighborhood. Discussion was had about where to potentially add signs.
  • Kermit asked each Board member to provide feedback on proposed locations to add signs.

 

ACTION ITEMS:

  • Gustav to publish minutes from August Board meeting
  • Kevin, Scott and Kermit to set-up co-signer’s on VLPNO bank accounts
  • Kevin to follow-up with Barton CPA to assist with CA State exemption and filing
  • Kermit to communicate to MW2021 Committee withdrawal of VLPNO request to hold a VLP Home Garden Tour.
  • Kermit to draft communication to neighbors of VLPNO Home Tour in the Modernism Week 2021 withdrawal. Once approved, Board to publish via Mailchimp, FB and Nextdoor
  • Scott to reach out to the O'Donnell Club and inquire about the possibility to move VLPNO AGMM to Saturday, November 21st if an earlier time (2:00 – 4:00pm) is available; ask if the O’Donnell has a PA system; finalize the date and time for the AGMM and book it
  • Gustav to follow-up with Jeff @ ImagineIT to see if they are able to host and assist with the webinar
  • Kermit to follow-up with his company to see if they would allow the VLP to use their MSTeams platform for the AGMM
  • Kermit to draft communication on AGMM Hold the Date. Once meeting date is finalized and booked, Board to publish via Mailchimp, FB and Nextdoor
  • Kevin to reach out to possible guest speakers: PSPD Police Chief and Denise Goolsby, Office of Neighborhoods Manager at City of Palm Springs; invite them to the VLP AGMM and ask if they would speak at our meeting. 

  • Kevin to follow-up with City on Neighborhood Topics: Street Condition
  • Rebecca, Gustav and Scott to work on updating Excel database to maintain a list of neighbors who are VLPNO members by address as well as those who have paid dues
  • Kevin to research whether this information: Addresses and Paid Dues can be maintained in Quickbooks

  • Kermit to update Block Ambassador proposal

  • Board members to provide Top 5 intersections to add VLP Blade signs

  • Kermit to send out Calendar Invite to the Board along with a MSTeams meeting invite for October 8th Board Meeting

Board Meeting Minutes - Aug 13, 2020

Vista Las Palmas Neighborhood Organization Board Meeting
August 13, 2020  4:00pm
Virtual Call via MSTeams

Meeting Objective: VLPNO Board Updates 

The following board members/attendees were present: Scott Turner, Kevin Comer, Gustav Swanson, Kermit Ferrer, Sally Hightower Lippin, Rebecca May.

AGENDA

  • Review / Approve Minutes from July Board Meeting (07/09/20)- Board
  • Review Action Items from July Board Meeting- KFerrer
  • Treasury / Finance Report- KComer
    • July Report
    • Donations: 
      • Checks, Check Distribution, Neighbor Collections- KComer
      • Communication GSwanson/RMay
    • Other VLPNO funds projects: ie Blade Signs
  • Modernism Week 2021 - VLPNO Home Tour- Board
    • Identify Committee Members & Tour Captain
    • Update on search for homes (min. 8)
  • Neighborhood- KComer
    • COVID-19
    • Street Condition Update                                                                          
  • One PS / District 3 Update- SCobrin/KComer
  • VLPNO Annual General Membership Meeting Planning STurner
  • Communication Updates:- GSwanson
    • Email Addresses DB- KComer/RMay
    • VLPNO website
    • Next Door
    • Facebook- RMay
    • Other
  • Block Ambassador/Captain Initiative Next Steps- KFerrer
  • Other Board Member Updates     

    Review/Approve Minutes from July 9th meeting

    • Board reviewed and unanimously approved minutes from the July 9th, 2020 Board Meeting
    • Gustav to coordinate w/ Imagine-IT to publish July Board 2020 meeting minutes on-line

    RECAP / NOTES from July Meeting

    • COMPLETE: Gustav to make the following VLPNO website updates:
      • Publish minutes from June Board
    • OPEN: Kevin, Scott and Kermit to set-up co-signer’s on VLPNO bank accounts
    • COMPLETE: Kevin to reach out to Denise Goolsby for other CPA references in PS that are familiar with Neighborhood Organizations and tax filing requirements as a back-up
    • COMPLETE: Gustav to re-draft up VLPNO communication #2 to Thank neighbors who personally provided matching donations
    • OPEN: Board to continue search for MW2021 VLPNO Home Tour Captain
    • OPEN: Gustav to draft up communication calling out for Tour Committee members and Tour Homes to be emailed, posted on FB, NextDoor and VLPNO website
    • COMPLETE: Kevin to follow-up with City on Neighborhood Topics: Street Condition
    • OPEN: Board members – Block Ambassador assignees to begin outreach to neighbors
    • OPEN: Kermit to update Block Ambassador proposal
    • COMPLETE: Kermit to deposit membership donation $50 into VLPNO Chase account
    • COMPLETE: Kermit to scan new VLPNO Membership form and deposit and share with the Board
    • COMPLETE: Scott to write a welcome message to the new neighbors
    • COMPLETE: Kermit to send out Calendar Invite to the Board along with a MSTeams meeting invite for August 13th Board Meeting

    Treasurer’s Report

    • Kevin provided July Financials via email to the Board prior to the meeting
    • July reporting included
      • Account Reconciliation
      • Income Statement
      • Chase Bank Statement
    • Kevin went through the VLPNO account balances
    • Kevin heard back from Lyle Purcell at MMGCCPA.  Lyle reviewed MMGCCPA’s Vista Las Palmas files and confirmed that a California exemption application was not prepared or filed by their firm. Nor were any annual California tax returns prepared or filed.  His recollection is that after receiving the federal exemption letter and preparing the 11/30/16 federal form 990-N, he was informed that one of the board members was a CPA and that the VLPNO would handle future filings. Lyle said that at this time, based on the number of nonprofit clients MMGCCPA assists, they respectfully decline to engage in services for the Las Palmas Neighborhood Organization. 
    • Kevin said that he got a couple of references for CPA’s and that he would be reaching out to them.
    • We still need another two (2) signers: The Board agreed that this will be Scott Turner, VLPNO Board Chairperson & Kermit Ferrer, VLPNO Board Secretary. This will be set-up once regulations permit for us to go to the bank to complete the signature paperwork. 

      MW2021 – VLPNO Home Tour                                                                                                   

      • Kermit shared the calendar of events and submittals that we due to MW2021 committee.
      • Kermit informed the Board that our request to host a VLP Landscaping Home Tour was approved by MW2021 committee, noting that the ticket price will need to reflect the change in outdoor viewing only.  He shared that Modernism Week’s Modern Garden Tour is historically popular and that it will also be organizing a tour for 2021.  The tour price for the Modern Garden Tour is normally $75.00 and includes presentations, book signings mid- century and contemporary landscape architecture and design and at least 10 homes.   
      • MW2021’s vetting process will be conducted in the same manner as they do for the home interior tour’s curating.
      • The Board also discussed adding Vintage Cars to the VLPNO Exterior Home Tours.
      • Kermit reminded the Board that we still don’t have a Tour Organizing Committee, Tour Captain/Deputy nor Tour Homes
      • Board agreed to send out an email informing the VLPNO of our new home tour format: ‘Outdoor Living – Home Exteriors and Vintage Cars’ , a call out for home owners to requesting homes and volunteer VLPNO MW2021 Home Tour organizing committee members.
      • Gustav to draft up communication calling out for Tour Committee members and Tour Homes to be emailed, posted on FB, NextDoor and VLPNO website. Responses to be received no later than Friday, August 21st.
      • In addition to email, Board members to reach out their neighbors and friends to see if they’d be interested in participating in the committee and/or have their home on the tour.
      • The Board will reconvene on Monday, August 24th to review responses on neighbors who have come forward to be on the MW2021 VLP Home Tour committee as well as those who have signed up to have their homes on the tour

        One-PS – District 3

        • Kevin reported that there was no District 3 July meeting
        • Kevin also indicated that One-PS meetings are scheduled to resume in mid-September in virtual format 

          VLPNO Annual General Membership Meeting Planning

          • The Annual General Membership Meeting regularly takes place the Sunday before Thanksgiving
          • This year that would be Sunday, November 22nd,2 020
          • Kermit reminded that per By-Laws AGMM invite must go out at least 30 days prior to the meeting. Invite should go out mid-October. Board needs to start meeting planning.
          • Considering current C-19 environment, we have two options:
            • Plan A: Hosting the event at the O'Donnell Club as we've customarily done.
            • Plan B:  Zoom/webinar option for our Annual Meeting is a good idea. 
          • We should pursue both options so that we may properly make the wise decision and plan accordingly
          • For Plan B: It appears that current option is to use Kermit’s Teams meeting. Kermit is going to investigate capacity.  Kermit also recommended that we do a test run prior to making a decision.
          • Sally to reach out to the O'Donnell Club and inquire about the Club’s operating conditions. If they’re planning to open, Sally to request reservation for our usual time slot for the Sunday before Thanksgiving = Sunday, November 22nd,2020 as well as quotes for costs:  venue & catering, deposit, payment terms, cancellation conditions, etc.

          Neighborhood                          

          • Kevin to follow-up with Joel Montalvo, MPA, PE Asst Director of Engineering City of PS.

          Communication

          • Rebecca, Gustav and Scott to work on updating Excel database to maintain a list of neighbors who are VLPNO members by address as well as those who have paid dues
          • Kevin to research whether this information: Addresses and Paid Dues can be maintained in Quickbooks

            Block Ambassador/Captain Initiative

            • Kermit to update proposal and present to the Board

             Other Update

            • Kevin proposed the possibility of having an Annual Fund Raiser much like other organizations in our community.
            • Kermit mentioned that most neighbors asked to donate to the Food Bank asked if their donation was tax deductible. Kevin said yes. Kermit suggested that this Fund Raiser could be the focus of our Annual meeting. We could showcase the 2020 donations.  Last year’s main topic was new By-Laws. 



              ACTION ITEMS:

              • Gustav to publish minutes from August Board meeting
              • Kevin, Scott and Kermit to set-up co-signer’s on VLPNO bank accounts
              • Kevin to reach out to CPA references to assist with exemption and filing
              • Board to continue search for MW2021 VLPNO Home Tour committee members and homes
              • Gustav to draft up communication calling out for Tour Committee members and Tour Homes with new format: Gardens, Outdoor Living and Vintage Cars to be emailed, posted on FB, NextDoor and VLPNO website
              • Board to meet again on Monday, August 24th to discuss status of MW2021 VLPNO Home Tour
              • Kermit to send out Calendar Invito to the Board along with a MSTeams meeting invite for August 24th VLPNO Home Tour Update
              • Sally to reach out to the O'Donnell Club and inquire about the Club’s operating conditions, reservation for VLPNO AGMM for our usual time slot for the Sunday before Thanksgiving = Sunday, November 22nd,2020 as well as quotes for costs:  venue & catering, deposit, payment terms, cancellation conditions, etc.
              • Kevin to follow-up with City on Neighborhood Topics: Street Condition
              • Rebecca, Gustav and Scott to work on updating Excel database to maintain a list of neighbors who are VLPNO members by address as well as those who have paid dues
              • Kevin to research whether this information: Addresses and Paid Dues can be maintained in Quickbooks
              • Kermit to update Block Ambassador proposal
              • Kermit to provide map with streets in our neighborhood that have blade signs and propose where new ones might be added 
              • Kermit to send out Calendar Invite to the Board along with a MSTeams meeting invite for September 10th Board Meeting




Board Meeting Minutes - July 9, 2020

Vista Las Palmas Neighborhood Organization Board Meeting
July 9, 2020  4:00pm
Virtual Call via MSTeams

Meeting Objective: VLPNO Board Updates 

The following board members/attendees were present: Scott Turner, Kevin Comer, Gustav Swanson, Kermit Ferrer.

AGENDA

  • Review / Approve Minutes from June Board Meeting (06/11/20) - Board
  • Review Action Items from June Board Meeting - KFerrer
  • Treasury / Finance Report - KComer
    • June Report
    • Donations: 
      • Checks, Check Distribution, Neighbor Collections - KComer
      • Communication GSwanson/RMay
    • Other VLPNO funds projects: ie Blade Signs
  • Modernism Week 2021 - VLPNO Home Tour - Board
    • Identify Tour Captain
    • Begin search for homes (min. 8)
  • Neighborhood - KComer
    • COVID-19
    • Street Condition Update                                                                          
  • One PS / District 3 Update -  SCobrin/KComer
  • Communication Updates: - GSwanson
    • Email Addresses DB - KComer/RMay
    • VLPNO website
    • Next Door
    • Facebook - RMay
    • Other
  • Block Ambassador/Captain Initiative - KFerrer
  • Other Board Member Updates 

    Review/Approve Minutes from June 11th meeting

    • Board reviewed and unanimously approved minutes from the June 11th, 2020 Board Meeting
    • Gustav to coordinate w/ Imagine-IT to publish June Board 2020 meeting minutes on-line

    RECAP / NOTES from June Meeting

    • COMPLETE: Gustav to make the following VLPNO website updates:
      • Publish minutes from April and May Board as well as the May Supplemental Donation meetings
      • Post photos of donation check deliveries
    • OPEN: Kevin, Scott and Kermit to set-up co-signer’s on VLPNO bank accounts
    • COMPLETE: Kevin to make final contact attempt to MMGCCPA to research VLPNO non-profit classification – determine if VLPNO has to file tax report to California and obtain further details of our tax exempt classification and code
    • COMPLETE: Kevin to issue and deliver final donation check to PS Modcom for $2,500
    • POST-PONED: Gustav & Rebecca to prepare and send 2nd Matching Gift Donation email to the VLPNO membership with information on neighbors who have donated and photos of donation check deliveries.
    • OPEN: Board to continue search for MW2021 VLPNO Home Tour Captain. 
    • COMPLETE: Kermit to contact Rebecca’s neighbors who expressed interest in possibly having their home on the tour and assist with Tour coordination
    • OPEN: Kevin to follow-up with City on Neighborhood Topics:  Street Condition
    • COMPLETE: Kermit to draft proposal on Block Captains
    • COMPLETE: Kermit to send out Calendar Invite to the Board along with a MSTeams meeting invite for July 9th Board Meeting

    Treasurer’s Report

    • Kevin provided June Financials via email to the Board prior to the meeting
    • May reporting included
      • Account Reconciliation
      • Income Statement
      • Chase Bank Statement
    • Kevin went through the VLPNO account balances

    Kevin reached out to MMGCCPA and spoke to Lyle Purcell with regards to State of California tax filing requirements and VLPNO exemption status.  Lyle promised to be back to Kevin.  Concurrently, Kevin will reach out to Denise Goolsby for other CPA references in PS that are familiar with Neighborhood Organizations and tax filing requirements as a back-up.

    • We still need another two (2) signers: The Board agreed that this will be Scott Turner, VLPNO Board Chairperson & Kermit Ferrer, VLPNO Board Secretary.  This will be set-up once regulations permit for us to go to the bank to complete the signature paperwork. 

      Donations 

      • PS Modcom: $2,500
        • Kermit delivered the check to Nickie McLaughlin, Executive Director of the Palm Springs Modern Committee
        • Nickie promised take a photo of PSModCom President and a couple of other board members holding the check as well as providing their names and titles and perhaps a one line comment that can be used on your website. Kermit to follow up with Nickie.
      • Gustav to re-draft up VLPNO communication #2 to Thank neighbors who personally provided matching donations. Message to be emailed, posted on FB, NextDoor and VLPNO website

      MW2021 – VLPNO Home Tour                                                                                                    

      • Kermit informed the Board that our intent to participated in the MW2021 was accepted by the MW2021 and that we were given our preferred date of Saturday, February 13th
      • Kermit also discussed critical dates that are quickly coming up for the planning and organizing of the VLPNO Home Tour (information sent to VLPNO Board under separate email)
      • Kermit stressed on the need to identify a Tour Captain/Deputy and Tour Homes
        • Kermit stated that VLPNO has showcased 6 – 11 homes in any given year. Kermit said that it would be good to have a minimum of 8 – 10 homes to present to the MW2021 Home Curator and also to have homes as a back-up in case one drops out of the tour
        • Note: Tour Captain/Deputy doesn’t have to be on the Board just as Jeffrey Saadeh who lead the MW 2020 Home Tour
      • Tour Committee
        • Kermit suggested that we call for volunteers to join the VLPNO MW2021 Home Tour Committee and at said meeting we ask the volunteers for roles they would like to hold
        • Volunteers to date:
          • Sally Hightower Lipin: Brochure committee
          • Allison Sapunor: Brochure committee
          • Kermit Ferrer: Liaison to MW2021 Organizing Committee
          • Kevin Comer: Finance committee
          • Rick Distfield: Social Networking commitee

      • Kermit reported that he spoke to Rebecca’s neighbors who’d previously expressed interest in having their home on the tour and possibly helping with the committee about committee duties and tour home requirements. At this time, they can’t have their home on the tour but are willing to keep it on the list for future neighborhood tours.

    • Gustav to draft up communication calling out for Tour Committee members and Tour Homes to be emailed, posted on FB, NextDoor and VLPNO website

      One-PS – District 3
      • Kevin attended the District 3 June meeting conference call with Jeff Kors and Denise Golsby held on June 30th, 2020.
      • Main topic: Budget
      • Kevin’s main takeaway is that it seems as though the city has managed to come up with a budget that minimizes the visual impact to residents.  
      • The shortfall of $75 mm over two years is being made up this year by a combination of
        • Not completing the downtown park
        • Hiring freezes
        • Early retirements
        • Reserve fund transfers
        • Layoffs, although layoffs are the smallest part of the proposed budget.
      • It doesn’t seem as though there will be entire shutdowns of services.  
      • There was also some talk about the police department.  A reluctance to cut the budget for them.  Kors indicated that the city would hire a consulting firm to examine the PS PD and come up with recommendations for change if needed.  He indicated an acknowledgement that the minority community has been disenfranchised in many ways.  
      • The budget passed
      • Regarding Covid-19, Kors said that their work shows that the majority of new transmissions are from people congregating here in PS in people’s houses, thinking that their friends are probably not ill and it’s ok for friends to get together.  He also said that he views the many many many people coming here for a “vacation” as a problem as most of them are not wearing masks, while also indicating a reluctance to aggressively enforce the mask requirements.  

      Neighborhood                          

      • Kevin didn’t receive additional feedback from the Board on streets we’re asking the city to focus possible repairs. The Board agreed to proceed with the streets that Kevin and Kermit had identified.
      • Streets identified by Kevin & Kermit in priority order and agreed/approved by the Board:
        1. N Fairview
          1. Topaz
          2. Coronet
          3. N Fair Circle
          4. Tuxedo
      • Kevin to follow-up with Joel Montalvo, MPA, PE Asst Director of Engineering City of PS.

        Communication
      • Continue to use Mailchimp for communication. However, it is obvious that our Contact DB is outdated.  Need to work on clean-up of DB
      • Messaging also going through VLPNO website and FB.  Need to increase use of Ne NextDoor.  Need to understand how to use Mailchimp to feed directly into NextDoor and drive increased communication.


        Block Ambassador/Captain Initiative

    • Kermit presented his proposal on the Block Ambassador project
    • Project purpose:
      • Improve accuracy of VLP Neighbor database contact information
      • Boost VLPNO membership
      • Improve communication of neighborhood efforts and activities
      • Drive the sense of community in our neighorhood as noted in our Mission
    • VLP Neighborhood
      • Total Households = 425
      • NextDoor Households = 160
      • VLP Members = ?
      • Rebecca to count up approximate household VLP membership based on consolidated maillist database
    • Kermit’s proposal divided the neighborhood into 10 ‘Blocks’ including VLP dogleg
      • Total Ambassadors = 10
      • Assignments range from 27 to 54 households
      • The Board discussed that each Ambassador govern a ‘Block’ with ownership of one street and subsequently recruit street owners for the others streets on their ‘Block’
      • Each Board member to assume a ‘Block’, need to recruit at least 4 more Block Ambassadors
    • Kermit to update Block Ambassador proposal

     

    Other Update

    • Kermit received one new VLPNO Membership donation of $50.
      • Kermit to deposit into VLPNO Chase account
      • Kermit to scan new VLPNO Membership form and deposit and share with the Board
      • Scott to write a welcome message to the new neighbors
      • Kermit reported that he is working on identifying what streets in our neighborhood have blade signs and propose where new ones might be added

ACTION ITEMS:

  • Gustav to make the following VLPNO website updates:
    • Publish minutes from June Board
  • Kevin, Scott and Kermit to set-up co-signer’s on VLPNO bank accounts
  • Kevin to reach out to Denise Goolsby for other CPA references in PS that are familiar with Neighborhood Organizations and tax filing requirements as a back-up
  • Gustav to re-draft up VLPNO communication #2 to Thank neighbors who personally provided matching donations
  • Board to continue search for MW2021 VLPNO Home Tour Captain
  • Gustav to draft up communication calling out for Tour Committee members and Tour Homes to be emailed, posted on FB, NextDoor and VLPNO website
  • Kevin to follow-up with City on Neighborhood Topics: Street Condition
  • Board members – Block Ambassador assignees to begin outreach to neighbors
  • Kermit to update Block Ambassador proposal
  • Kermit to deposit membership donation $50 into VLPNO Chase account
  • Kermit to scan new VLPNO Membership form and deposit and share with the Board
  • Scott to write a welcome message to the new neighbors
  • Kermit to send out Calendar Invite to the Board along with a MSTeams meeting invite for August 13th Board Meeting